nice to have these nearby...
* amc theatre
* bubble tea (e.g. boba loca)
* corner bakery
* thai restaurants (several is even better)
* trader joe's (an affordable whole foods/wild oats)
* nearby & decent walmart (sorry hannah)
* nearby & easily accessible us bank (i switched from my beloved midwest only, capitol federal to us bank, which is supposed to be everywhere. while there are bank of americas on practically every street, us banks are sadly not so prolific and prefer to be in large downtown office buildings without clear parking...grumble)
* quicktrip where are you??
* aldi - gotta love those prices
* wolf photo - my westport one in particular
* o'dowd's - ya gotta have an irish pub nearby
the dmv comment might seem odd - how often do you really need it? seriously though, when you do, and you know you're probably going to have to wait ages - wouldn't it be nice to have it just down the street?
i actually got to experience my local dmv today to get my california driver's license. when i first arrived and saw everyone waiting i thought i was in for a long day. looking at the back of the man in front of me, i saw embroidered on his leather jacket "there can be only one" above a horizontal sword. from there, things just got normal, though, and i made it through the process just fine. i do have to share my favourite quote from the california drivers handbook:
* The term thumb print
means a thumb print
if you have no thumbs.